Choose the best answer from the choices given:
1. A:“I hope you will be ready to leave on time. ”
B:“Don't worry. I'll be ready by the time the taxi ( ). ”
A. arriving B. arrives C. will arrive D. will have arrived
2. When I reached the peak, the sun ( ).
A. shone B. shines C. has shone D. was shining
3. The task force is supposed ( ).
A. to be getting reinforced B. that to be getting reinforced
C. to being got reinforced D. that been got reinforced
4. A new hypothesis ( ) before it can be put into practice.
A. must be tested B. be tested C. can be tested D. to be tested
5. I don't think she meant ( ) you.
A. hurt B. to hurt C. hurting D. be hurt
6. I keep fit ( ) playing tennis every day.
A. by B. on C. for D. in
7. ___arrived ___ she started complaining. ( )
A. Hardly had he… when B. Hardly he had... when
C. He hardly ...than D. Hardly had be... than
8. A:“( ) did she see the doctor?”
B:“She saw the doctor twice a month. ”
A. How B. How many times
C. How long D. How often
9. __gone to sleep __ the telephone rang once more.
A. No sooner he had... than B. No sooner had he... when
C. No sooner had he... than D. No sooner he had... when
10. A:“What will you be doing in the summer?”
B:“”( ) English in a high school.
A. To learn B. Learning
C. Will be learning D. Will learn
11. Is this the first time you ( ) Tokyo?
A. have visited B. would visit C. visited D. have been visiting
12. The information was later admitted ( ) from unreliable sources.
A. to be retrieved B. to have been retrieved
C. that it has been retrieved D. that it was retrieved
13. For a child to give up his less mature idea for a more sophisticated one, it requires that the child ( ) psychologically ready for the new idea.
A. is B. be C. were D. would be
14. John used to get up early,( )?
A. used he B. did he C. didn't he D. would be
15. Where are you going to have the TV set ( )?
A. repair B. repairing C. repaired D. to repair
16. Although Mary was very successful in sales,her boss passed her by ( ) a promotion.
A. for B. in C. with D. through
17. Any boy ( ) wants to succeeed must work hard.
A. whom B. who C. which D. that
18. My brother is a good businessman, ( ) I am not.
A. who B. whom C. which D. that
19. ( ) that the voters approve the funds， we will have a new park in our town.
A. Giving B. Given C. Supposing D. Supposed
20. ___ I worked hard at school, I ___ this kind of work now. ( )
A. Had... wouldn't have done B. Had.. wouldn't be doing
C. If... wouldn't do D. If... wouldn't be doing
Fill in the blanks with one of the items given below:
21. bank, bunch, congregation, pack, series
A. a _____ of musicians
B. a___ of lectures
22. board, bunch, choir, packet, party
A. a ______ of guests
B. a______ of keys
23. is, are, was, were, will be, shall be
Some money _____ carried to the spot and all the food and everything else _____ ready for the picnic.
24. seem, seems, me, I, mine
Your politics _____ to be entirely different from _____.
25. less, less of, than, as, like
Mr. Smith is _____ a politician ______ Mr. Lee.
26. more of, many of, much of, than, as, like
John is as _____ a fool _____ Bill.
27. be, is, was, are, were, will be, shall be
A. That she is still alive ______ sheer luck.
B. Neither his oral statement nor what he wrote _____ true.
28. have, has, had, will have, shall have
A. She is the only one of her family who ______ trouble making up the mind.
B. This is the only family in the community who ____ different opinions while making up the mind.
Fill in the blanks with a question tag:
29. Turn on the light,_____________?
30. Let's go to the park this afternoon, _____________?
Fill in the blanks with the proper form of the words given:
31. It is recommended that a lawyer _____________(be) present when you begin to negotiate the terms in the contract.
32. It is only typical of you. You _____________(always lose) things.
33. If you favour _____________(work) on night shift, you may sign up here.
34. He felt very _____________(depress) when he heard the story.
35. Several strikers who _____________(imprison) for demonstration were set free yesterday.
36. Mary negotiates _____________ (skillfully) than her boss.
37. We had _____________ (fun) than we did last time.
Fill in the blanks with an appropriate preposition:
38. He is expected to arrive _____________ Christmas.
39. The boys were all lying _____________ the floor.
40. When money is _____________ short supply many businesses fail.
41. Father doesn't want to let us go, but I know I can get _____________him.
Fill in the blanks with an appropriate relative pronoun:
42. He laughs best _____________ laughs last.
43. She is married to a man _____________ she believes both makes a lot of money and loves her.
44. Dr. Fordham still talks like the man _____________ he was ten years ago.
Fill in the blanks with an appropriate coordinator or subordinator:
45. _____________ he does is often at variance with what he says.
46. _____________you go, I go too.
Fill in the blanks with an assertive, non-assertive or negative word:
47. We have interviewed several applicants, but _____________ is really qualified for the job.
48. I've _____________ in all my life seen such a big animal.
Correct errors in the following sentences:
49. His books are wonderful. I've read any one of them.
50. I've got five brothers, and every of them is quite different from the others.
51. None of my parents are interested in my idea.
52. The old woman had to stop and rest each two or three steps.
53. She is too polite person to refuse.
54. It was so warm day that I could hardly work.
55. How much of job would it be to rebuild the garage?
56. Between ourselves, I think she's a bit of fool.
Rewrite the following sentences as required:
57. Turn the following statement into a tag question:
We all had a wonderful time at the party last night.
58. Turn the following sentence into the passive voice:
According to them, only two tribes used to speak the ancient language of Aramaic.
59. Use modal auxiliary:
They were obliged to finance from short-term loans as the debts fell due.
60. Use-ed participle as a complement:
He felt that his spirit was lifted after hearing the news.
61. Combine sentences using subordination:
John decided to renew the lease on his New York apartment. He was growing tried of city life.
62. Combine sentences using coordination and subordination:
New Hampshire does not have a general sales tax. It does not have an income tax either. It is the only state that does not have either tax.
63. Combine the sentences into one that contains a relative clause:
She was afraid people would consider he conceited. She was actually not conceited at all.
64. Write a counter-factual conditional based on the given facts:
You lived far away. That's why we didn’t visit you frequently.
65. Use discontinuity:
Excessive exposure to violence on TV is more harmful than expected to children.
66. Use fronting:
He plunged into the tumultuous water just to show off to the girls.
67. Use whatever cohesive device is appropriate:
Check out the weather at your destination. If you do not check out the weather at you destination, things can be very embarrassing.
68. Use whatever cohesive device is appropriate:
To guard against lost luggage, buy brightly coloured luggage or wrap bags with a belt so other passengers will not mistake your luggage with their own luggage.
69. Use whatever cohesive device is appropriate:
A:John is going to marry Susan once he gets consent from her parents.
B:In that case,John shouldn't be quarrelling with her parents all the time.
Define the following terms with examples:
70. non-epistemic modal auxiliary
71. Define “ellipsis” with two examples.
Answer the following questions with the help of examples:
72. List 2 situations in which simple present is used to refer to the past.
73. What kind of grammatical functions can the-ed participle perform?(Give at least two kinds)
74. Provide examples to illustrate the major types of postponement